Historic Route 1 Road Trip
Off-Road Parks in Pennsylvania
Starr's Trailer Sales Blog
- 0 0Published on Apr 17, 2014Buying something used can always be tricky. Whether it be a video game or an RV, there is an inherent risk when you are looking to buy something that is not new. Will it work? What if something is wrong with it? What are these people not telling me? These questions along with others can quickly derail a sale if you don’t get the answers you want. But these questions do need to be asked! Always be thorough when buying anything used, especially when you are looking to buy a used RV. Here are some key things to inspect and ask before buying a used RV. Before we get started, remember that although buying used can be scary, if you buy it from the right people such as us here at Starr's, we can make your buying process go a lot smoother!
Things to Ask About
- When was the oil last changed? - When asking, be sure to also ask what kind of fuel your motorhome or RV takes. Oil changes vary depending on the vehicle and type of fuel, so whatever it is, be sure you know how often to change your oil!
- When was the roof last sealed? - Having the roof sealed is a major thing to ask especially when buying an RV in places where extreme weather can occur. The last thing you want to happen is to be caught in a storm and have your roof leak because it wasn’t sealed properly.
- Price - Negotiating the price of a used RV can seem like a daunting task, but trust us, it helps to know what the certain RV is going for to be sure you are getting the best deal. Most RVs values can be found on nadaguides.com. Here you will find what you should expect to pay for a used RV.
Things to Inspect
- Check the VIN for accidents - Checking for accidents is key! The seller might hide stuff such as minor accidents from you in hopes that you won’t be looking for them. Don’t let them get away with it! Do your research and check to make sure that the RV you’re buying is accident free.
- Check the Tires - Make sure the tires don’t have any leaks or issues that need to be fixed. You don't want your first trip in your newly purchased RV to be derailed after you get a flat tire because you didn't inspect them.
- Check the Batteries - Make sure the battery works and is fairly new. Batteries can be expensive so make sure you know how much life it has left.
- Check for leaks in water tanks - This one is pretty self explanatory. Water tanks are definitely not something you want leaking during your trips.
- Check the A/C and heater on the dash and in the house/cabin - This is especially important if you plan on using your RV in all seasons. Both the heater and A/C need to be working or else it could cause for some very uncomfortable nights!
Starr's Trailer SalesHere at Starr's Trailer Sales we want to make sure your used RV buying experience goes as smoothly as possible. That is why we only offer the finest used RVs so that you know what you are getting into. We have several used RVs that are Route 66 certified pre-owned RVs for your convenience, as well as a top notch service department that can go over any fixes the RV needs to have. Above all else, here at Starr's you will get the best customer service around. Come see for yourself by giving us a call at 814-265-0632 or by stopping by our location at 3673 Route 219 in Brockway.