Historic Route 1 Road TripPublished on May 06, 2014
Travel Route 1
Travel Route 1[/caption] When you think of famous highways in America, almost everyone thinks of the famous Route 66, and for good reason. But did you know there is another famous stretch of road that travels right through Pennsylvania and all the way down to Florida? Historic Route 1 starts in Maine and covers more than 2,000 miles along the east coast all the way down to Florida. This East Coast road dates back to the 1950s and 1960s at the height of what was deemed the “road trip era” You can avoid the hustle and bustle of more crowded interstates and travel down Historic Route 1 at your own pace. You can also take time to discover numerous historical and architectural sites, classic diners and roadside gems! Here are some main attractions along the way to get you and your crew ready to road trip this summer! We will be starting in Pennsylvania and working our way down South on Historic Route 1, but if you want to take the route up north, you certainly can!
Starting right here in lovely Pennsylvania, Route 1 will take you through Philadelphia where you can see numerous sites of how our great country was founded.
- See Independence Hall where the declaration of Independence and constitution were created.
- Stop by for a picture of the liberty bell, one of the many symbols of our freedom.
- Love the movie Rocky? Run up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art just like Rocky did!
These sites will be sure to get your trip down Route 1 off to a great start.
Once out of Pennsylvania travel down to Washington D.C. where many of the nations finest monuments are located.
- Visit the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial
- Stop by and catch a glimpse of the Oval Office
- Take a hike at the beautiful Great Falls Park
As if your love for this great country couldn’t grow anymore, Virginia offers even more history to dive into!
- Explore Mount Vernon, the home of George and Martha Washington for 45 years and the first president's favored retreat from military and political life.
- Take in the setting of Old Town Alexandria which features 18th-century architectures well as popular shops and restaurants
- Cvil War buffs can take themselves through several historic battles such as Chancellorsville, Petersburg, and Fredericksburg
This state isn’t ranked as one of America's best vacation destinations for nothing!
- Enjoy great beaches, golf, nightlife and outdoor adventures for all!
- Go hiking and fishing in the 45,000-acre Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge. This refuge is home to numerous animals and offers spectacular views.
The Historic Route 1 ends in Florida, but your trip doesn’t have to end there! Florida offers many activities, but one of its most unique is at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park. This park is America's first undersea park that lets you catch amazing views of marine life that most poeple can only dream of. Of course this is just one idea. Florida offers beaches, shopping and much more to end your road trip in style.
Starr's Trailer Sales
If this road trip interests you, why not get started right away!? Starr’s Trailer Sales offers first class RV service to anyone who thinks there RV or motorhome might need a tune up before hitting the road this summer. We also feature a parts department that has anything you might need to make your summer road trips a success. Give Starr's a call today or visit us at 3673 Route 219 in Brockway, PA See you here!